Kruger National Park (south)
In 1898 the Sabie Game Reserve was established primarily through the efforts of Paul Kruger, president of the Transvaal Republic at the time. Paul Kruger was deeply concerned about the rapid dwindling of wildlife caused bij poaching, the increasing trade in skins and ivory and excessive hunting. On the first of July in 1902 the Scottish-born James Stevenson-Hamilton was appointed South Africa's first official game warden. He was nicknamed 'Skukuza' (he who sweeps clean) because of his succes in eliminating poaching the the area. He strongly advocated a change in legal status – from game reserve to national park.
On 31 May 1926 the parliament passed the National Parks Act. The Sabie and Shingwedzi Game Reserves were merged and the area was named the Kruger National Park in honour of its founding father , Paul Kruger, who had contributed enormously to wildlife conservation in Souht Africa. In 1927 the Kruger National Park opened to the general public.
The park currently extends from the Crocodile River in the south to the Limpopo in the north, it is 60 km wide and over 350 km long, conserving 21497 km², an area the size of Israel.
In 2002, Kruger National Park, Gonarezhou National Park in Zimbabwe, and Limpopo National Park in Mozambique were incorporated into the a peace park, the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park.
The official South African website of Kruger National Park